Sunday, December 28, 2008

How Many Books?

I was talking with a friend recently who said they were going to set a goal to read a book a month in the new year. It made me start thinking about how much I read. Curious to see if I read a least one book a month, I decided to make a list of the books I'd read in 2008. I would have to rely on my memory, since I hadn't been keeping track. Here is what I came up with (not necessarily in any particular order)...


  • The Bible (yep, I read through the entire book in 2008 using a reading plan from our church)
  • Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
  • The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
  • Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears
  • Prince Caspian by C.S.Lewis (this was a re-read for me - I am a huge fan of all The Chronicles of Narnia books)
  • Inside Out by Larry Crabb
  • Surrender by Nancy Leigh DeMoss (also a re-read)
  • Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • Radical Gratitude by Ellen Vaughn
  • Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge (this was another re-read)
  • Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher
  • The Shack by William P. Young
  • Three by Ted Dekker
  • Showdown by Ted Dekker
  • Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
  • Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
  • Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning (this is what I am currently reading)
On my nightstand waiting are...
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • The Reason for God by Tim Keller
  • Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
There are so many more that I still want to read, too, so I will need to pace myself.

I guess I did read at least a book a month this year, in fact more. In the end it looks like I read sixteen and a half books (six of which were novels), plus the Bible. That averages out to 1.38 books per month. In 2009 I will aim higher - I'll shoot for one and a half or maybe even 2 full books per month! :)

*** UPDATE***
I guess I forgot one. A friend reminded me of another book I read while on a camping trip with her. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. How could I have forgotten? I couldn't put it down and it was a GREAT book!

No comments: